HomeAnza Borrego Backcountry

Hard to get places in Anza Borrego which require 4WD or hiking

Villager Peak Messages in this topic - RSS

Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21


5/12/2017
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21
Has anyone here made it to Villager Peak and or Rabbit Peak? Looking for your experience, trail condition, etc.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2034


5/12/2017
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2034
Expect a worn path to Villager and mostly to Rabbit, it is a popular destination.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 353


5/13/2017
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 353
The southern route is the most popular as Daren mentioned. Villager is a great day hike. Rabbit Peak is a very long day hike. Bring a head lamp. btw Rabbit can be climbed from the east up Barton canyon. That was my favorite route.
link
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2034


5/13/2017
dsefcik
dsefcik
Administrator
Posts: 2034
Personally I would recommend an overnight trip, spend the night up on Rabbit (or nearby with a view of the Salton Sea) and watch the sunrise over the Salton Sea, that is one of my favorites for sure, anywhere up on the Rosa's watching the sunrise is magical.

--
http://www.sefcik.com
http://www.darensefcik.com
http://www.carrizogorge.com
+1 link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21


5/14/2017
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21
dsefcik wrote:
Personally I would recommend an overnight trip, spend the night up on Rabbit (or nearby with a view of the Salton Sea) and watch the sunrise over the Salton Sea, that is one of my favorites for sure, anywhere up on the Rosa's watching the sunrise is magical.


I'd like to see that. Thanks.
link
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 353


5/15/2017
rockhopper
rockhopper
Posts: 353
When are you going? Darens right, nothing like waking up on a remote Santa Rosa mountain peak. However bring LOTS of water! We are technically past the peak climbing season for Rabbit peak as the desert heats up. Be careful if you go. Go early and gain elevation to beat the heat. You can also night climb under a full moon with headlamp. Nov.- April is my favorite time to go. Snow is often available if timed right.
edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2017
link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21


5/15/2017
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21
rockhopper wrote:
When are you going? Darens right, nothing like waking up on a remote Santa Rosa mountain peak. However bring LOTS of water! We are technically past the peak climbing season for Rabbit peak as the desert heats up. Be careful if you go. Go early and gain elevation to beat the heat. You can also night climb under a full moon with headlamp. Nov.- April is my favorite time to go. Snow is often available if timed right.
edited by rockhopper on 5/15/2017


I will probably wait until after the heat of summer. Trying to plan the hike-gear to take etc. I plan on camping near the peak one night, hike back in after dawn. 2 gallons of water should be enough if the temps are cool enough, no?
link
Buford
Buford
Posts: 60


5/15/2017
Buford
Buford
Posts: 60
Everyone goes through different amounts of water. 2G sounds like more than enough to me, but everyone is different.

I agree, sunrise from the ridge is awesome. It can be very cold up there though.

It is basically a trail to Villager. Hard to call it a cross country route.
link
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21


5/15/2017
Rocko1
Rocko1
Posts: 21
Buford wrote:
Everyone goes through different amounts of water. 2G sounds like more than enough to me, but everyone is different.

I agree, sunrise from the ridge is awesome. It can be very cold up there though.

It is basically a trail to Villager. Hard to call it a cross country route.


Thanks. In the books I have read it's made out to be hard to follow the trail with few visitors, but reading blogs, etc. it seems many more people visit this than I expected.
link






Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.3.8.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software